As computer technology advances at a rapid pace, cybercrimes also significantly increase. These types of crimes may involve the internet, and are now actively investigated by state and federal law enforcement agencies. Computer crimes typically fall into five categories:
- Theft offenses
- Fraud offenses
- Sex offenses
- Financial crimes
- Invasion of privacy offenses
Manikas Law, LLC represents adults and juveniles throughout Fairfax and Northern Virginia charged with a federal or state computer crime.
What Are Common Computer Crimes in Virginia?
Internet crimes are offenses committed with the use of a computer, cellphone, or other form technology. The computer can be the target of the criminal activities, the weapon used, or the receptacle used to store illegal information. Common state and federal internet or cybercrimes include:
- Computer fraud
- Identity theft and credit card fraud
- Computer trespass
- Internet sex crimes, such as solicitation, child pornography, and others
- Computer invasion of privacy
- Fraudulent use of a computer to gather information
- Theft of computer services
- Personal trespass by computer
- Sexting, which is the sending, receiving, or possessing of nude photographs of minors on a cellphone
Penalties You Could Face If Convicted of a Computer Crime?
The penalties for cybercrime depend on the charges and whether the crimes are felonies or misdemeanors. In addition, there are different sentencing guidelines for federal and state crimes. However, the following penalties could be assessed:
- Fines: These can range from a small amount up to $100,000.
- Prison: The penalties for many internet and cybercrimes include a prison sentence. Serious offenses may carry a sentence of up to 20 years or more.
- Probation: You may be placed on probation, sometimes in addition to prison or fines.
Experience that Makes a Difference
We represent clients facing criminal charges in Fairfax County, Prince William County, Arlington County, Loudoun County, Alexandria, or elsewhere in Northern Virginia.
If you've been accused of a computer crime, you need a skilled criminal defense attorney who will work diligently to protect your rights and your future. The experts at Manikas Law, LLC offer the quality legal representation that you need and deserve. Schedule your consultation today.