A large part of the frustration and anxiety you are experiencing is likely due to confusion as to what attorney you should hire. You recognize that who you hire as your attorney may be the single greatest factor that affects the outcome of your case. The limited time you have to make this decision is adding to the anxiety you are experiencing.
What You Need to Know About Choosing a Lawyer for your Fairfax Case
Any lawyer can pay a marketing expert to create a website or send you a direct mail letter. However, the fact that someone claims to handle your type of case does not mean they are qualified and will do a good job. The questions you need to be asking are:
- What attorney has the relevant & specific experience in Fairfax County?
- How will hiring a former Fairfax County prosecutor who knows firsthand how my case will be prosecuted help benefit my defense?
- Will my attorney consider me and my case a priority?
- Will my attorney recognize that my case is unique and not treat it like every other case?
You will be entrusting the attorney you choose with your future and reputation.
Fairfax County has no shortage of eager lawyers. Every lawyer with a license feels he is qualified to handle your case. They are not. DUI/DWI, Reckless Driving, and criminal cases can be some of the most complex cases. They involve law that changes on an almost monthly basis and various scientific, technical, and medical issues. Moreover, how these cases are handled varies substantially from county to county within Virginia, and from judge and prosecutor to judge and prosecutor within a county, such as Fairfax.
Many of the lawyers or law firms seeking to represent you may fall into one of several categories:
- They are not located in Fairfax. They simply recognize that Fairfax is a busy jurisdiction and think it is a good "business move" to solicit cases here. They may even loosely associate themselves with a firm or office in Fairfax County to give the false appearance they are located in Fairfax.
- They lack real and substantial experience with DUI, Reckless Driving, and criminal cases. They call themselves "experienced" but in reality may only be a few years out of law school, or perhaps they have "been around" for some time but have never had the opportunity to present more than a few, if any, such cases to a judge in the form of a trial, and never had the opportunity to try such a case to a jury.
- They sent you (or will send you) an unsolicited letter blindly quoting a fee to handle your case without ever having had the opportunity to talk to you about the case or your background! It may mean they are going to "process" your case like every other case they have without any real work.
- They may not be a firm without any significant emphasis on DUI/DWI, Reckless Driving, and criminal cases. In fact, they may be "generalists" or lawyers with non-criminal specialties (divorce, real estate, etc.) that do a little bit of everything, but do nothing well because of a lack of focus.
Former Fairfax Prosecutor with Significant Experience in Fairfax County
Kyle Manikas is a former Fairfax County prosecutor that has defended thousands of people in Fairfax County charged with Reckless Driving, DWI, DUI, and other criminal offenses. Our office is located on Judicial Drive in the City of Fairfax next to the Fairfax County Courthouse. To speak with an experienced Fairfax Virginia reckless driving, DWI, and criminal defense lawyer call us at 703-556-0004 or email us through the Contact Us page or the box below.